10 Things of Thankful

What a beautiful Saturday!!  Today I am linking up with A Fly On Our (Chicken Coop) Wall and listing 10 things I am thankful for.  I hope I am doing this right!  If you want to join in the fun, make a list of ten things you are thankful for and head over to her page to link up with other wonderful bloggers.  I love linking up!!  Woo hoo!  Okay, let's get started.  The first five are sort of the "big things", the last five are more of the farmer/gardener things.

1.)  I am thankful for my hubby.  I am quite certain no one else on earth could put up with the craziness that is Me.  I have some of the weirdest quirks and phobias and he understands them all, and even if he doesn't understand them he works around them.  He supports me in my crazy animal endeavors, and helps take care of them every night.  I could go on and on!  He is a good man, a man who follows God and has his priorities straight.  And that is what matters most to me.

2.)  I am thankful for my family.  My family is the bomb.com.  Haha!  Seriously, I don't know of many families that get along as well as my family does.  My sister and mom are my best friends, the ones I go to before anyone else.  My brother-in-law might as well just be called my brother.  My Dad makes everything animal, garden, ect. related we do around here possible.  I need every one of them!  We go camping together, have gone on vacations together, and have traveled in an over crowded car together.  And we always enjoy our time together!  We are definitely what you would call "tight knit".

3.)  I am thankful for animals.  Animals seem to have always been my passion in life, what I love being around and taking care of.  I have learned that each species has its own body language, and if you watch it and learn it they can tell you so much!  A horse can tell you if he is frightened.  A chicken can tell you if he's happy.  A cat can tell you if he is not feeling well.  Most animals will test you, to see who is going to be boss.  You have to learn how to communicate to them that you are the leader, and that they should follow you.  It is all so much fun!!

4.)  I am thankful for blogging.  I have been in a bit of a rut for the past few months, so I took up blogging.  I am SO glad that I did!  It keeps every day busy and it has already been proved invaluable for me as I have a record of things that have happened in the past with my animals.  I have met some really amazing people and other bloggers whom I would have never known about if it weren't for blogging.

5.)  I am thankful for those who listen and encourage.  Recently I was talking to a friend I know from church.  She listened with a quiet smile, and encouraged.  She was so easy to talk to!  She asked all the right questions.  How do some people just know how to do that?  She will never know how much she inspired me!  I want to be more like her, to be always open for others when they need to talk.  An understanding ear.  Approachable, but if needed, one who can humbly approach.

6.)  I am thankful for strawberries.  I can't really eat them because they make me horribly sick to my stomach.  But sometimes I don't care and do it anyway!!  There is nothing on this earth IMO as good as strawberries and Nutella.  NOTHING!  I could eat them for every meal.  

7.)  I am thankful for chickens.  How can you not love them?  They do the funniest things.  They eat bugs.  They lay eggs.  They reproduce tiny little fuzz balls of cuteness.  I can sit in the chicken coop for hours and watch them and laugh harder than I have all day!  And yes, we have raised chickens for meat too, and are trying to learn more about it.  If you have chickens, you have economic insurance!  As long as you have them, there will be some kind of food either in the form of eggs or meat.  

8.)  I am thankful for new beginnings.  With my *very* poor gardening skills, I am going to need LOTS of new beginnings.  Ugh.  Maybe next year, right?  Why is it I can grow roses fine but struggle with carrots and spinach?  Who knows.  Maybe next year I'll get it all figured out!

9.)  I am thankful for the seasons.  As much as I hate winter, there is nothing as exciting or fun as the thrill of spring, and we wouldn't appreciate spring as much without a little winter thrown in.  New blooms, baby chicks, sowing seed, the smell of honeysuckle... new life coming into being all over again.  

10.)  I am thankful for the "old fashioned way" of doing things.  Hard work, canning, sewing, gardening, harvesting your own meat, being outside.  I love these things and wish I could learn to do them or do them better.  One day, I want to be the person who can live off their own land.  I may never get there, but I am certainly going to try!

All right, that is it.  Hmm, that was long. I tried entering the button, but for some reason it didn't work.  Ahh!  Here is what it takes you to.

Have an awesome weekend!

Comments

  1. What a beautiful list. A supportive spouse is the most wonderful blessing. It sounds like you have one, for sure.
    As for the gardening, we had no idea what to do when we moved out here. We basically just threw some seeds in the ground and crossed our fingers. When things started coming up, we didn't know if they were weeds or plants. It wasn't until the garden was a complete disaster that we figured it out. :)
    We are much better now. If you can, find someone who has canned before to show you how. I had a co-worker come show me how when my green beans were ready the first year. I was able to learn the lingo, and I got to see a pressure cooker in action before I blew the house up. :) Now, I'm comfortable canning just about anything.
    Thank you for linking up and supporting our new blog hop! Reading positive posts all day certainly makes it brighter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My Mom has canned before, so I am wanting her to show me. Pretty sure a canning kit is #1 on my Christmas list this year!

      Delete
  2. You have a terrific list! I get the strawberry thing. I love cantaloupe, but get horrible stomach cramps when I eat it (but never did until I was pregnant with my daughter over 14 years ago). I've finally given in and don't allow myself even one bite anymore, because it just isn't worth it.

    If you can get your hands on a copy of Betty MacDonald's "The Egg and I," you might really enjoy it. It's an autobiographical account of living on a chicken ranch on the Olympic Peninsula pre-WWII and it is HILARIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and do you still live in N.W. Arkansas? If so, we're neighbors!

      Delete
    2. I do still live in NWA! Am I correct in understanding you live in MO? It is so pretty up there... that is where we bought our pony, Bill. I shall have to check out "The Egg and I"! Thanks for recommending it!

      Delete
    3. I'm in Joplin. Just a hop, skip and a jump away.

      Delete
  3. Hi, you little farm sounds like a piece of heaven. We want to get us some acreage too. We will not be able to farm or have lots of animals. Just a horse, dogs, and a cat or too. I hope I can garden too, at least in containers. :)

    Glad to meet you again. I have been on your site before awhile back.

    http://mary-anderingcreatively.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-first-ten-things-of-thankful-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so blessed on our little farm! A horse, dog, and a cat or two is almost exactly the start I had to starting our place. We do raised bed gardening ATM but hope to switch to open gardening next year. Thanks for visiting, and your list looked wonderful also!

      Delete
  4. I really love your list!! So many things I can relate to! I love blogging, too, and I am also so glad for people who know how to listen and encourage. And while I do not like winter you are so right in that we would not be able to acknowledge spring like we do!
    Thank you so much for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been so fun! I am always excited to find new bloggers to link up to. :)

      Delete
  5. That is truly a delicious list. I've not tried strawberries with nutella, but you may have inspired me to do so. Your chickens sound fantastic. I'm always very envious of people who have chickens, as I've wanted them since I was a little girl and was never allowed and now don't have sufficient garden space or permission (it's a council block) to do so. So the dream will have to wait and I will have to continue living vicariously through those who ARE living The Good Life on the blogopshere. Thanks for joining in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH yes. Do it!! Strawberries and Nutella offers a piece of heaven on earth haha! I am so glad I was able to join. You know, part of the fun of blogging is getting to live vicariously through someone else. I feel I can share my sweet chickens with all my followers! Pick a favorite. I know I sure have!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful list, I enjoyed all your 10 and your explanations of each :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely list! I think it's awesome that strawberries made it on. And cheers to finding friends who encourage us and listen. That's huge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is huge! I just couldn't get by without them. :)

      Delete
  8. Aww nice list especially the family part! Love ya sis! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Let us know what your thinkin'! We love feedback.

Popular Posts