Hey everyone! I am so excited to be guest blogging on Lana’s blog today. Since I work for a moving company called U-Pack®, I get asked a lot of questions about anything and everything moving related. Lana loves cats (isn’t Siri beautiful?), so I thought, “Why not about a post about moving your cat?” Purrrrrrfect!
10 Terrific Tips for Moving Your Cat to a New Home
- 1. Make sure you have the right sized carrier for your cat. The carrier should be large enough for your cat to fully turn, stand up, and move around.
- 2. If you’re flying with your cat, call your airline to find out their requirements for pets. Each airline is different, so find out sooner rather than later.
- 3. If you’re traveling by car to your new home, get your cat used to the car by driving your cat around the block in its carrier at least once per day.
- 4. Take your cat to the vet before you move. You need to make sure your cat is healthy enough for travel and that vaccinations are up-to-date.
- 5. If you can, put moving boxes around your house to get your cat used to them. Most cats, like Siri, love boxes, so leave an empty box around for them to hide in come moving day.
- 6. Or consider putting your cat in pet daycare on moving day. This way, there’s no chance of running off due to loud noises or escaping out the door that’s going to be open and closed numerous times throughout the day.
- 7. Avoid a catastrophe! (Sorry I couldn’t help it!) Put your cat on a leash or harness when you take breaks from traveling. Also, make sure your cat has the right identification just in case.
- 8. Cats aren’t big on change, so keep to your cat’s regular routine as much as possible throughout the moving process.
- 9. Give your cat plenty of familiarity during the move by putting their favorite toy in the carrier and packing up their favorite spots last.
- 10. Once you arrive at your new home, immediately decide where your cat’s food, water, and litter box will go. This will instantly give your cat a feeling of establishment in your new home.
Okay, so those are some of my best tips for moving your cat to a new home! If you have more tips to add to my list, leave a comment and let me know! Thanks, Lana, for letting me guest post today on your blog!
Thank you, Christina! This is great information to keep in mind if you are moving your precious kitty cats.