Cleaning the Chicken Coop

Yesterday, we gave the chicken coop a good clean.  I know everyone does something a little different when it comes to chickens, so I thought I would share our method of cleaning the chicken coop.  I think there are lots of right ways to do things with chickens, so just pick what works best for you and your flock!

Dirty nesting boxes.

Dirty coop.

We raked and swept old pine shavings out.  Don't forget to dust for cobwebs, too!


Then we dusted the bottom of the coop and nesting boxes with DE.

Added fresh new pine shavings.  I plan on adding more... I ran out yesterday!

Also added fresh pine shavings to the nesting boxes.

 I recently learned that some people freshen up their coops by using mint.  We have TONS of spearmint so we picked that and....

...spread it all over the coop floor! 

And the nesting boxes!  It smells great and actually repels bugs.

Meanwhile, Mrs. Potts and her brood feasted on grass clippings while head roo Petrie watched us VERY closely!
A word on DE - diatomaceous earth.  If you use it for chickens, be SURE to get food grade!!  DE is great for killing lice/mites that often affect chickens.  It is also great to kill any other bugs like flies, roaches, etc. that may happen to walk through the chicken coop.  So basically, I use it as a natural pesticide for my chickens.

That is our method for cleaning the chicken coop!  Do you have any tips?  How do you clean your chicken coop? 

Comments

  1. I use the same deep litter method. So much easier than anything I have used before. I never thought about adding mint to the coop. I also grow a lot of it (love it in my tea). I think I will add some to my coop too. See what the chicks think of that. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing! I loved the idea when I saw it somewhere, too, and I am so glad I tried it. Let me know what you think! :)

      Delete
  2. Mint is a fantastic idea - never thought of that. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hay,, u have really shared a nice information.i made some chicken coops at my place,and it is very helpful to me.thanks a lot :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Let us know what your thinkin'! We love feedback.

Popular Posts